!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 29th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings CAN be filled during this period.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Yes we can be passionate about gear and about how our gear is different from other shorties , and I get Roussel's point about elitism . But perhaps it plays out more like elitism on the internet and less in real practice as many have pointed out .. actually for me in practice and at the resort it is more like "Shorties" of the world unite ... whether our gear is short and skinny , short and fat , short and tiny , or short and not so tiny , we are all short and not tall , we are all NOT long skis and all NOT snowboards .. and it is all good ... Wendell , Dave ,and I were schooled by a guy on narrow short 120 short skis riding with a tree branch crosswise , in the steep chutes at Mt. Rose ... I met a guy who has the record at Heavenly for most runs down gunbarrel in a single day and does it on snowblades ! and a couple of seasons ago I met up with these two skilled skiers who were having a super fun day on a pair of blades and bigfeet shredding all the most gnarly and technical lines at Alpine meadows at mach speed ,just for laughs. I was on a pair of regular Blunts but felt like I was overkill on my gear ! It is all good !

Boards :
    Blunt Xls -SBOL Modified GNU Rear Entry Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors- SBOL Modified Sims Cipher Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors - Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor Binding -
    Spliffs -Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor binding
    Spruce Osprey - Center Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Ambition AT binding
    Spruce Sherpa - Rear Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Fritschi AT binding

Boots:
    Ride Insano Snowboard Boots
    Full Tilt Booters

CoFounder | Skiboardmagazine.com Roussel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjue View Post
    Yes we can be passionate about gear and about how our gear is different from other shorties , and I get Roussel's point about elitism . But perhaps it plays out more like elitism on the internet and less in real practice as many have pointed out .. actually for me in practice and at the resort it is more like "Shorties" of the world unite ... whether our gear is short and skinny , short and fat , short and tiny , or short and not so tiny , we are all short and not tall , we are all NOT long skis and all NOT snowboards .. and it is all good ... Wendell , Dave ,and I were schooled by a guy on narrow short 120 short skis riding with a tree branch crosswise , in the steep chutes at Mt. Rose ... I met a guy who has the record at Heavenly for most runs down gunbarrel in a single day and does it on snowblades ! and a couple of seasons ago I met up with these two skilled skiers who were having a super fun day on a pair of blades and bigfeet shredding all the most gnarly and technical lines at Alpine meadows at mach speed ,just for laughs. I was on a pair of regular Blunts but felt like I was overkill on my gear ! It is all good !

Yesss amazing post. I want to share the love of shorties with these people! And I want to figure out how to do this.

Elitism is a very polarizing word. It goes beyond an equipment choice and and suggests personal derogatory opinions and actions towards other people. There is no doubt that the stance has been taken to separate skiboards from ski blades based on the concept of superior design. Unfortunately it is hard not to associate people with their equipment. Skiers do this to skiboarders, they consider us inferior because of our equipment. As skiboarders we seem to consider ski blades inferior, but the question is if we are extending that discrimination to the folks who ride ski blades?

The following quotes were taken from an old thread about why SBOL doesn't sell ski blades. Obviously I have cherry picked the negativity. Is this elitism or just equipment bias? I'm not sure, but there is definitely an air of superiority.

Mass produced blades represent everything that we don't want: cheap plastic fixed bindings, foam cores, impractically narrow design, asymmetric shape, etc. All of these are limiting factors that give people the perception that skiboards are just a toy or gimmick.
    I think most people are riding these as a novelty or in an attempt to work their way up to skis.
    RVL8 is in the market to sell high quality skiboards. The simple fact that the market is flooded with cheap "blades" is the reason the perspective on skiboards is so negative
    I think what really needs to happen is for the general public to be "re-educated" as to what Skibaords are and how they are different from the low quality blades. Yes....blades are a great way to get an intro to the sport....but you really need to experience what top quality skiboards are all about.
    There is a market for those products, but it is not for people who are serious riders
    This forum is the core of skiboard enthusiasts but I have yet to see a wave of requests asking Greco or Jeff to make a short skinny blade.
    With these characteristics, there come many of shades of grey, where certain boards are definitely blades, and others kind of blur the line. The more of these characteristics a board has, the less it has the pure feel of skiboarding. It just so happens that boards with plastic top mount bindings virtually always also have most of these other properties, making plastic top mout bindings a simple reduction for classification.
    This final quote, brings hope!

Personally, I think the skiboard field, rather then trying to distance and disassociate themselves from blades, should use the established blade market to their advantage - market themselves as "superblades" or something, to draw established bladers to the higher end models.
    Just these, nothing else !

That final quote is brilliant. Next time someone asks me about my skiboards, I will say ''they are called skiboards, they are like superblades. i got them from skiboardsonline.com''

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    The following quotes were taken form an old thread about why SBOL doesn't sell ski blades......
    I do like the Super Blades thing but just out curiosity how old was that thread? One of the points I tried making earlier is I really don't read much of that in recent posts (say the last two seasons). I think the core active forum member doesn't write in that way any more and old posts are part of the fabric of the internet that cannot be erased (sorta).
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Quote Originally Posted by Roussel View Post
    Next time someone asks me about my skiboards, I will say ''they are called skiboards, they are like superblades. i got them from skiboardsonline.com''
    When riding my Rockered Condors, lifties and others have called them powder blades or pontoon blades. I'm cool with that. There have been times where someone has said they are the fattest blades that they have ever seen. Rather than go into the whole "they're skiboards and not skiblades" spiel, I'll just say "Yep, they are my powder blades".

Skiboards:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2018 Spruce Crossbows w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Hardcore Skiboarder macrophotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    Heck last year at the Elk Jam mini-gather Kocho was riding a pair of blades that he had modified for part of the day. Macrophotog was so intrigued by them they swapped boards for part of the day.
    Funny - I had just been thinking about that while reading these posts. On that day last spring, I had the option to try out many different boards that I had never ridden - Spruce 120's, Condors, etc. . . And what I chose was to try Head Rods 94cm modified with 4x4 inserts!
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Head - Ethan Too 141 & 151, SuperShape i.Titan 156
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Faction - Candide 2.0 166
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, Rockered Condor, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Head Salamander 94, Caddy 131 & 151, and Ethan Too 161. Atomic - 1:20, Access 151, and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Tyrolia PRD 12, Spruce Pro Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13
    Boots
    Atomic Overload Reactor 100

'Powder Blades' is what I get mostly in Europe too.
    Sticky Icky Icky (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    I do like the Super Blades thing but just out curiosity how old was that thread? One of the points I tried making earlier is I really don't read much of that in recent posts (say the last two seasons). I think the core active forum member doesn't write in that way any more and old posts are part of the fabric of the internet that cannot be erased (sorta).
    The thread was April 2013, so pretty much the same mix we have on the forum now.

Maybe we need a ski blade day at the next Shredfest. That way people will think we are just good skiers having a fun "Gaper" day

Remember when FATblade came out and people tore them apart for basically making something similar to the Blunts.

That's what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roussel View Post
    Remember when FATblade came out and people tore them apart for basically making something similar to the Blunts.

That's what I'm talking about.
    IIRC the people I spoke to at the time on Kickstarter came across as not having done their homework, talking up patents whilst prior art existed and generally being ignorant of the fact that a small and active industry already existed.

So, I would not consider it a good example of trying to make your point.
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '18 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots

Skiboarder
    I dunno, I definitely see where you're coming from here. I'm not sure if it's elitism exactly. I know that when I first came upon this site, which was fairly recent (2 years ago or so) I had only used rental blades from my local resort. I'd been using those for as long as I could remember because my dad convinced us all to try them and we loved them. Even now, any time I introduce friends to snowsliding I tell them to try blades.
    I came here for two reasons. One, when I told my fiance we use blades, he googled it and enlightened me that skiblades, snowblades and skiboards were all entirely different things and should not be used interchangeably. Two, one of my friends told me he had a pair of RVL8 KTPs when I told him we used short skis, and I got here via the RVL8 site.
    I joined the forums eventually, but I was definitely a little worried about saying that I had just used rental blades at that point, because I felt like I wasn't supposed to be here unless I had my own equipment bought from the store here. I know, that probably sounds silly, but I figured since this thread brought the topic up, I'd give my own little story.
    HOWEVER, I will also say that since being here and in my 2 years of browsing these forums, I learned that most of you guys are great and are a fairly accepting bunch. At the very least, you're all very helpful. I still feel stupid sometimes asking questions on things that should probably be basic knowledge. That might be a part of the elitist thing, but I think it's just that this forum has a lot of die hard skiboarders who have been doing this for years and that can make new people and bladers feel inferior and so they leave.

First off thank you mary for your perspectives. I think that although skblades, skiboards, snowblades all have their own connotations, I think there is far too much emphasis on this, its all the same sport, and the imaginary divide is childish at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ysb33r View Post
    IIRC the people I spoke to at the time on Kickstarter came across as not having done their homework, talking up patents whilst prior art existed and generally being ignorant of the fact that a small and active industry already existed.

So, I would not consider it a good example of trying to make your point.
    Actually, that is exactly what I am talking about and your comment just reinforced my point. Who cares if they didn't do their homework. The product they are making and what we do is the same sport, you are creating a divide over commercial retail favoritism. Brand "X" is not good enough for me therefore invalid. Can we have a little bit of relativism please?

If someone bought FATblades and later came onto this forum, there is no way they would feel welcomed or want to go to shred fest or participate in our community.

I found the solution to this dilemma years ago.

I call everything shorties!
    So sayeth the shortydude!

Quote Originally Posted by mary View Post
    That might be a part of the elitist thing, but I think it's just that this forum has a lot of die hard skiboarders who have been doing this for years and that can make new people and bladers feel inferior and so they leave.
    This is sad to hear.