Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Too soon! It's just a warm up for what's to come.

Two Feet Forecast For The Cottonwoods

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt ~ Blunt XL
    ~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii ~ Spruce LE / Osprey ~ Bomber E2 Bindings ~ Full Tilt Boots
    ~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

I know Westfest is still a little ways away, although the Cottonwoods did get two feet of powder this week. It's not too early to think about booking your hotel and getting an early discount. This is the week of the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, so hotels go fast for this time period and the prices go up the closer we get.

As usual we shall be based around the Town Southe area of Sandy. It is convenient for hotels, shops, restaurants, the light rail, the ski bus and the mall.

I just booked a King room at the Extended Stay America for $303 for four nights. That includes all the taxes and comes out to a reasonable $75 per night. Queen rooms go for a little less. There are many other choices in the area, but the Extended Stay in the least expensive by far.

Here is the link to the Extended Stay on Booking.com.

And here is a link to the other hotels in Sandy currently being offered by Booking .com
    Just these, nothing else !

Hardcore Skiboarder macrophotog's Avatar
    This is the week of the Sundance Film Festival in Park City
    Does this mean the Cottonwoods resorts will be less or more busy?
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100, Rockered Condor 110
    Head - Salamander 94, Caddy 131 & 151, Ethan Too 141 & 161
    Atomic - Access 151
    Armada - Triple J 155
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Atomic - 1:20 and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Tyrolia Power Rail w/ PRD 12, Spruce Pro Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13
    Boots
    Atomic Overload Reactor 100

Were in Brian Head this weekend. We got a dusting but you can see the white tops up North.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    64 CM Bigfoots
    88 CM Blunts with Technine LMP Snowboard Bindings
    94 CM Head Big Easy (Friend loaners)
    100 CM '15 Blunt XL
    101 CM 08' KTP
    110 CM Rockered Condors
    120 CM Spruce Green and white 120's
    125 Spruce Prototypes and 125 LE's
    130 CM Spruce Sherpas-2 pair

Quote Originally Posted by macrophotog View Post
    I'm not sure. The Festival runs from Jan 19th through the 29th, so it will just be wrapping up as Westfest starts. It does overload the Park City hotels, rentals, resorts and restaurants. I'm sure a lot of attendees want to combine their love of films with a few ski days. I don't know if that spills over to the Cottonwoods, or if the Park City locals come over to avoid the tourists. Maybe Russ can give more information?

I do know that we have held Westfest at the same time for three years now and have never encountered any impossible lines at the Cottonwood resorts. Even on the powder days, the lift lines rarely get over ten minutes. We do plan our resort rotation to ski the busier AltaBird resorts on the Monday and Friday to avoid the weekend crowds.

It's been my experience that the crowds are much larger at Park City. I don't know if being right after Sundance is going to make any difference or not.

You were at the Cottonwoods and Park City last season after Shredfest. What did you experience as far as crowds?

2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs
    2015 Spruce Sherpas
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys
    2013 Spruce Sherpas (2 pair)
    2012 RVL8 Rockered Condors

Spruce Riser w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    Spruce Riser w/Tyrolia Attack 13s

Salomon X-Pro 80

2016/17 Season - 30 days on the mountain so far

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, Revolts, Spliffs

Quote Originally Posted by sempai View Post

You were at the Cottonwoods and Park City last season after Shredfest. What did you experience as far as crowds?
    It wasn't right after Sundance, so I don't know how that will compare, but. . . We were at Park City on a Thursday and Friday - Thursday was great with no crowds, but Friday was very busy and long lift lines. We did Solitude on Saturday which was busy but not unreasonable, Brighton on Sunday which was less crowded and according to several locals is the way it is in the Cottonwoods on Sundays, and then Snowbird on Monday in which we had the mountain virtually to ourselves but mostly because of heavy dense fog.
    Boards / Skis
    Atomic - Access 151
    Armada - Triple J 155
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Atomic - 1:20 and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Boots

Thursday was great with no crowds, but Friday was very busy and long lift lines. We did Solitude on Saturday which was busy but not unreasonable, Brighton on Sunday which was less crowded and according to several locals is the way it is in the Cottonwoods on Sundays, and then Snowbird on Monday in which we had the mountain virtually to ourselves but mostly because of heavy dense fog.
    Sounds very similar to last season's Westfest. Alta was pretty busy on Friday. Solitude on Saturday was busy, but it wasn't awful by any means. It was a big-time powder day too, so that probably brought more people there than normal. Brighton on Sunday had a pretty good crowd, but it wasn't too bad either. There are ways to get around the crowds at both Solitude and Brighton. You just have to stay away from certain lifts. It also helps when you spend most of the time skiing trees. Snowbird on Monday wasn't crowded, but it was so cold, windy, and hard to see that day.

I kind of worry about switching Snowbird to Friday this year. We could be in store for a crowded day there. It probably doesn't matter where we go though. Fridays are crowded because a lot of people take that day off to have a long weekend, or they have Friday off because they work a 4-day work week.

2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs
    2015 Spruce Sherpas
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys
    2013 Spruce Sherpas (2 pair)
    2012 RVL8 Rockered Condors

Spruce Riser w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    Spruce Riser w/Tyrolia Attack 13s

Salomon X-Pro 80

2016/17 Season - 30 days on the mountain so far

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, Revolts, Spliffs

RVL8 FlowTeam / Skiboardmagazine.com editor Courtney's Avatar
    I just booked all the things for Westfest!
    - Flight (Arrive 1/25, Depart 1/31)
    - Mid-size SUV
    - Hotel (Extended Stay)
    - 4 day pass

I plan to ride Park City on Thursday, January 26, then join the group for the regularly scheduled Westfest.

I know Westfest is still a little ways away, although the Cottonwoods did get two feet of powder this week. It's not too early to think about booking your hotel and getting an early discount. This is the week of the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, so hotels go fast for this time period and the prices go up the closer we get.

As usual we shall be based around the Town Southe area of Sandy. It is convenient for hotels, shops, restaurants, the light rail, the ski bus and the mall.

I just booked a King room at the Extended Stay America for $303 for four nights. That includes all the taxes and comes out to a reasonable $75 per night. Queen rooms go for a little less. There are many other choices in the area, but the Extended Stay in the least expensive by far.
    I have a bunch of Marriott points to use for a free hotel, so I originally reserved at the Residence Inn Cottonwood - right at the entrance to Big Cottonwood Canyon. If everyone is going to be in the Town South area of Sandy, then I might change it to the Residence Inn Sandy (1 mile from the Extended Stay America). If we get dumped on and need to use the ski bus, I am assuming it is better to get on it in Sandy (first ones on the bus), opposed to getting on closer to the entrance to the canyon (last ones on the bus)?
    Boards / Skis
    Atomic - Access 151
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I just booked all the things for Westfest!
    - Flight (Arrive 1/25, Depart 1/31)
    - Mid-size SUV
    - Hotel (Extended Stay)
    - 4 day pass

I plan to ride Park City on Thursday, January 26, then join the group for the regularly scheduled Westfest.
    What kind of deal did you find on the rental vehicle? It seems the prices are so much more expensive than when I went to SLC last February.
    Boards / Skis
    Atomic - Access 151
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

RVL8 FlowTeam / Skiboardmagazine.com editor Courtney's Avatar
    I found the mid-size SUV for just over $300 through Priceline (7 days). I think I started at Kayak and found it that way. It wasn't all that much more than a compact car, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. Everyone was nice enough to cart me around last time, so I'm up for giving rides to anyone who needs one

We took the ski bus one day, but it was kind of intense. Even getting on in Sandy, the bus was packed and we found ourselves standing. The bus gets warm quickly, so it wasn't an ideal way to start the day. Even on the snowy days, roads were reasonable despite some slow traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I found the mid-size SUV for just over $300 through Priceline (7 days). I think I started at Kayak and found it that way. It wasn't all that much more than a compact car, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. Everyone was nice enough to cart me around last time, so I'm up for giving rides to anyone who needs one

We took the ski bus one day, but it was kind of intense. Even getting on in Sandy, the bus was packed and we found ourselves standing. The bus gets warm quickly, so it wasn't an ideal way to start the day. Even on the snowy days, roads were reasonable despite some slow traffic.
    Thanks Courtney - the prices definitely have dropped since I had been looking at them. I just grabbed a name you own price off of Priceline also. From the sounds of it, I think the only way I'd want to take the ski bus is if they implemented the restrictions and were only allowing the bus or chains in the canyon.
    Boards / Skis
    Atomic - Access 151
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

14. #44 just booked! 
    We just booked Saturday and Sunday night at Extended stay. We will stay Friday night before and Monday night after at our Utah house. Thanks for finding that spot Bad Wolf!
    64 CM Bigfoots
    88 CM Blunts with Technine LMP Snowboard Bindings
    94 CM Head Big Easy (Friend loaners)
    100 CM '15 Blunt XL
    101 CM 08' KTP
    110 CM Rockered Condors
    120 CM Spruce Green and white 120's
    125 Spruce Prototypes and 125 LE's
    130 CM Spruce Sherpas-2 pair

I have a bunch of Marriott points to use for a free hotel, so I originally reserved at the Residence Inn Cottonwood - right at the entrance to Big Cottonwood Canyon. If everyone is going to be in the Town South area of Sandy, then I might change it to the Residence Inn Sandy (1 mile from the Extended Stay America). If we get dumped on and need to use the ski bus, I am assuming it is better to get on it in Sandy (first ones on the bus), opposed to getting on closer to the entrance to the canyon (last ones on the bus)?
    Come over and join us Tom!

Tracey and I used to take the ski on our previous visits to SLC. It is really easy to use on a regular day, the problems happen when it dumps and they only let chains up the hill. If you don't have a 4X4, and you want to ski, your only option is the bus. The terminal for the bus is very close to the Extended Stay, so if we have to use it we can at least be the first ones on and get a seat. The traffic will be backed up on snow days regardless, but at least we have a secure ride.