!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 26th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings or Spruce Pro Sport bindings CAN be filled during this period.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hardcore Skiboarder macrophotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macrophotog View Post
    These are the version 2 that work with the Attack 13: http://www.coloradodiscountskis.com/...oduct1170.html

It's also possible that other's that sell them (like Levelnine.com) might be the version 2 brakes but have not updated their listing titles. . .
    RETRACTION: I just contacted levelnine direct and all the widths they have are version 2 EXCEPT the 150mm's. Those are still old stock until they sell the last three pairs. . . . So don't buy the 150's from levelnine if you want version 2.

and It sounds like the brakes at levelnine are also version 2 even though their product listing doesn't say so. They have them for sale on eBay and I sent them an eBay message asking about it and they said they were version 2 brakes. If anyone plans to buy from them, you should verify before your purchase. I think I've talked myself into buying a pair of the 150mm version 2 brakes myself - I've never really like the way the 130mm widened to 145mm angle outwards when skiing. the 150 version 2 should be all around better on the wide boards and I'm expecting to retract better for riding on a narrow board as well.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Head - Ethan Too 141 & 151, SuperShape i.Titan 156
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Faction - Candide 2.0 166
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, Rockered Condor, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Head Salamander 94, Caddy 131 & 151, and Ethan Too 161. Atomic - 1:20, Access 151, and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Tyrolia PRD 12, Spruce Pro Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13
    Boots
    Atomic Overload Reactor 100

2. #32 Tyrolia 150mm Power Brake 2 on Attack 13 bindings on Blunt XLs 
    So I bought a pair of 150mm Tyrolia Power Brake 2 brakes for my Attack 13 bindings from my local ski shop here in the UK.

I fitted them on the Spruce Risers on my Blunt XLs.

Great retraction. Well tucked in.

Well clear of the snow.

Thanks for the info, macrophotog

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    So I bought a pair of 150mm Tyrolia Power Brake 2 brakes for my Attack 13 bindings from my local ski shop here in the UK.

I fitted them on the Spruce Risers on my Blunt XLs.

Great retraction. Well tucked in.

Well clear of the snow.

Thanks for the info, macrophotog
    Awesome! Mine arrived in today's mail. Going to swap them out on my riser tonight in prep for Westfest with the XL's.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Armada - Triple J 155
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, Rockered Condor, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Head Salamander 94, Caddy 131 & 151, and Ethan Too 161. Atomic - 1:20, Access 151, and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Boots

Just installed mine. Look like the pictures Gromit posted. It appears that because these brakes are more upright (straight up and down) they have more reach into the snow upon release than the 130mm brakes that were widened. Now we just need to see them installed on a set of narrower boards (I don't have any except the Osprey which is fitted for Power Rail bindings). But, based on how they retract, and aren't angled outward like widened brakes, these should do much better on narrower boards than the old ones.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

Measuring at the widest point of the brakes (the outside of the bottom of the plastic tips):

110mm PowerRail2 LD Brakes (from my PRD12 bindings):
    without boot (unretracted) = 150mm
    with boot (retracted) = 100mm
    difference = -50mm or -33%

130mm Power Brake Race Pro stretched by Spruce to fit XL's and Condor width boards (from my Attack 13 on Spruce Riser):
    without boot (unretracted) = 200mm
    with boot (retracted) = 187mm
    difference = -13mm or -7%

From those measurements you can see the huge difference in retraction (tucking) from version 1 and version 2 brakes. So it might be worth a shot to try the 150mm Power Brake 2 Race Pro, or if you can see one in person hold a 130mm brake up to your XL's and see if it will clear it just enough (cause the 130mm will be even narrower for your narrow boards). On my PRD12 bindings (power rail), I could easily use my 110mm brakes for all ski waist sizes down into the 75mm if I wanted to with no concern for catching the brakes while skiing.
    Following up with my measurements on the 150mm version2 brake that I installed last night. . . Again, measuring at the widest point of the brake which is at the outside edges of the black tips:

Without boot (unretracted) = 190mm
    With boot (retracted) = 168mm

So in the retracted position with boot installed, this brake cuts 19mm off the width of the 130mm brakes that were widened. Although this might not seem like much (about 1cm per side), the biggest difference is that the retracted brakes run parallel with the skis and do not angle out like the widened brakes. This fact alone would make me more comfortable riding these on narrower boards because they no longer look like a shepherds hook searching for something to latch onto.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

Hardcore Skiboarder
    Has anyone bought these Power Brake 2's from Colorado Discount Skis in the link above? Level 9 is out of the width I want, and the person at Colorado Discount Skis wasn't sure that his stock is the newer version that retracts more. I'm looking at sizing down to the 110mm PN 163036 for my Attack 13's on narrower boards and going back to non-release on wider ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun Machine View Post
    Has anyone bought these Power Brake 2's from Colorado Discount Skis in the link above? Level 9 is out of the width I want, and the person at Colorado Discount Skis wasn't sure that his stock is the newer version that retracts more. I'm looking at sizing down to the 110mm PN 163036 for my Attack 13's on narrower boards and going back to non-release on wider ones.
    Show the folk at Colorado Discount Skis this picture. Note the small "2" next to the word "BRAKE".

I bought mine from Colorado Discount Skis and they came in an unlabeled box. I installed them on my riser and the measurements are in my post above. They are much better retracted than the 130mm brakes that were widened and came with my Spruce Pro Prime Riser Attack 13 set up. After some of the questions about what brakes Colorado Discount Skis actually stocks, I sent them a very cordial email to verify that what I purchased was actually version 2 (receipt says version 2). A few hours later they sent me an email with a full refund for the brakes and said they did not know what they sold me and asked me to take my business elsewhere. They said I could keep the brakes and that they aren't a parts supplier - they prefer to sell brakes to customers that buy their bindings and skis. So I guess I don't really know what I have - but they are better than what I had and they seem to retract as far as Gromit's do. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

I bought mine from Colorado Discount Skis and they came in an unlabeled box. I installed them on my riser and the measurements are in my post above. They are much better retracted than the 130mm brakes that were widened and came with my Spruce Pro Prime Riser Attack 13 set up. After some of the questions about what brakes Colorado Discount Skis actually stocks, I sent them a very cordial email to verify that what I purchased was actually version 2 (receipt says version 2). A few hours later they sent me an email with a full refund for the brakes and said they did not know what they sold me and asked me to take my business elsewhere. They said I could keep the brakes and that they aren't a parts supplier - they prefer to sell brakes to customers that buy their bindings and skis. So I guess I don't really know what I have - but they are better than what I had and they seem to retract as far as Gromit's do. Weird.
    I found a verified pair of 150mm version 2 brakes cheap on eBay a few weeks back. I’ve also learned how to tell difference between version 1 and version 2 via looking at plastic molding on brake arms. What Colorado Discount Skis sold me last year (and then refunded me and let me keep) was definitely version 1. So I installed version 2 and they retract a lot more than all of our comparisons found in this post.

Again, measuring at the widest point of the brake which is at the outside edges of the black tips with boot (retracted):

130mm brake widened = 187mm
    150mm brake version 1 = 168mm
    150mm brake version 2 = 151 mm

I definitely think you could use the Attack 13 150mm version 2 brake setup from your wide boards (XL, RC, Spliff) with your narrower boards without too much fear/concern of getting the brake arms tangled up. But definitely need the version 2 brakes to be safer in this endeavor.

Likely this is what I’ll bring to Westfest 2018 - XL’s (or RC’s) and Crossbows and just one set of risers as described above.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots

Hardcore Skiboarder
    If you look under the brake, version 1 has two wire levers that come up and split away, and version 2 has a U shaped continuous wire lever. Version 2 also has these plastic wings that protrude inward. In the attached pic, the upper is version 1 and lower is version 2.

http://tinypic.com/r/2h2lbet/9

SBOL Team III
    I used the new 2018 A13s with the 150mm brakes sold by SBOL on my new Sherpas. I think they are the v2s since they are new, and when retracted they line up perfectly with the edges of the boards.

I am not too concerned about them catching because of this, and I also don’t ride with my boards close together. The future may call for a pair with 130 brakes for narrower boards, but I’m more than comfortable with the 150.

Hardcore Skiboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Toro View Post
    I used the new 2018 A13s with the 150mm brakes sold by SBOL on my new Sherpas. I think they are the v2s since they are new, and when retracted they line up perfectly with the edges of the boards.

I am not too concerned about them catching because of this, and I also don’t ride with my boards close together. The future may call for a pair with 130 brakes for narrower boards, but I’m more than comfortable with the 150.
    I had posted a while back that I wasn't concerned about the brakes catching, either, and they hadn't ever. But I had to eat my words this Christmas when they got tangled up and had me face planting.

Have you noticed any difference between the new 2018 A13's and prior year versions? The 2018's got a redesign to support GripWalk, is slightly heavier on spec (2070g vs 1940g), and have new NX FR heel pieces.

These are 150mm brakes in my XLs. Following Fun’s pictures, I’m pretty sure they are version 1. They really don’t tuck in very far and I can’t imagine them being practical on a narrower board like the Ickys.

Just these, nothing else !

SBOL Team III

Have you noticed any difference between the new 2018 A13's and prior year versions? The 2018's got a redesign to support GripWalk, is slightly heavier on spec (2070g vs 1940g), and have new NX FR heel pieces.
    Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable about the differences through the years, since these were my first set of release bindings.

The new Attack series (Attack2) are heavier and have a taller stand height.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Bindings
    Boots