Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    After the snow came some rain and now we have some warm days again. Popped out yesterday fro a lunch break and did three runs before coming back. Snow at the bottom was slushy, the red runs that were in the shade had most of the top snow skied off revealing nasting icy streaks underneath.

Never the less amned to do a blue for warm up. Then proceeded to get the lift to the base of Pic Negre, skiiing off a black, semi narrow run at first. This was a bit technical as the one side of the chute was in the sun and the other in shade, resulting in having great glide as one went up the left side, followed by some bumpy and icy sections as one turned through the right side. Finished that off by doing a red slope and dodging all the tourist traffic near the bottom.

Last run of lunch was a very long blue. Could have made it the longest run of the resort if I combined it with another run off Pic Negre, but anyway, most of the route was in the sun with some soft moguls in places and the snow got heaped up by trafic from the morning. Nic thing about the Ospreys is that they simply bounce through that kind of terrain. Definitely felt that in the legs, but hey, I did go for some exercise. The whoel run started at about 2200m and ended at aruond 1550m. The last part is the long descent with many turns. Interestingly enough the last part is not popular with people who do not stay at the hotel near the end of the run, but it is a great way to finish a day. (Even if not parked at the hotel, one can simply take the chair lift up again end then change over to the gondola to get back into the village).

We are hoping for some new snow to arrive over the weekend...
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '83 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers
    '15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots

I'm pretty sure these are the first pairs of Spruce Crossbows in Andorra. They are well suited to the varied terrain we get in the resorts.

'18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

We were four people on the very first lift up. I did not mess around. By the time I was going up the lift again and noticed some of them coming down the hill. I got four runs before going to work. All on Crossbows under lovely blue skies. The decisions was not to do anything hard, just carve as much. The pistes were wide open - got some long turns in. I was on my own and rode everything non-stop top-to-bottom. The longest run was 1000m vertical (also the biggest vertical drop in all of Andorra's resorts).

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

4. #19 Touring on skiboards 
    Had to be at work, but the sun was shining, so I went for some early morning exercise. Skinned up on the Ospreys. The idea was to use Les Marrades, one of the Arinsal resort tracks. which is popular with ski mountaineers. Instead of starting at the bottom of the track I prefer to use a side entrance which is a bit quieter and avoids the lower section which has a steep run-out to the ski lift.

Getting from that path onto Les Marrades turned out to be tricky. There is a steep step up and turned out to be to steep and icy for just having skins on, so I had to boot pack the Osprey for about two metres to get over it. Once on the track I pulled out the crampons and clipped them in. These Tyrolia Ambition bindings are wonderful and well-engineered. No fiddling with screwing down crampons - it's just clip-and-go. The track going up was very hard pack and on some of the steeper sections the crampons came into play so well.

Just to think I nearly left them at home, but I decided at the last moment to just throw them into my pack. Two days ago, I snowshoed the same route and caught up with some one skinning up. I noticed he had crampons on too. Now I know why he did.

After getting to the main buildings of the resort, it was the time to change over, Take off the nice nordic blue skins that Jeff pre-cut for me, unclip the crampons, lock down the bindings and tighen up the boots. Mmm.. the K2 Pinnacles might be cross-over boots, but they are still heavy. Since the Ospreys are now exclusively used for touring I can probably invest in a decent set of touring botos that are compatible with the Ambition bindings - that is to say if I can find something that fits my wonky feet.

Pushing off the Black Diamond backcounty poles (great recommendation by Jue) I guidesmyself back to the steeps and started the decent. Wow baby, after weeks of riding Crossbows, these Ospreys now feel like long sticks! I soon find myself collapsing the poles in the right and going back to skiboard style. Much more comfortable that way that trying to do something with poles on a hard-pack groomed piste anyway.

Back to the car. Back to work.

Here's a little video of me skinning up on the Ospreys. Coming around that bend the boards started to lift more as the incline decreased and the stride length increased. (Further down it was much more of slide and walk).

https://youtu.be/6qq0RJuMvuQ

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Stress relief. I have come to discover the healing relief that a day on the slopes can bring. After a tough week, spending a day just cruising around is immense. Finding wide slopes with few to no people and just carving from side to side, then switching stances to ride through transition zones, all in very soft & natural way, one can feel the mental energy being reloaded.

Add to that the additional freedom that skiboards bring and it all becomes so zen - a near-spiritual experience.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

It dumped a massive amount of snow. Two days later and avalanche patrol is still clearing out risky slopes.

We were allowed back in to one of the resorts today. Freeriding areas are still closed, but a lot of untracked space was available on one of the steep black pistes. Going down with Crossbows was like floating on a cloud.

If you look at the photo you'll see a groomed piste further down. The upper sections were left as-is. The route marker is a good indication of the snow level.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

We had a lot of fun today. Managed to find some partners for tree skiing. Just loved how sharp the Crossbows could turn between trees as compared to normal skis.

We had about 130cm of soft snow according to one person's ski pole.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Season is over.

Could not not get to slopes in three weeks due to bad weather. Apparantly one resort will still stay open until April. Will check that out when I'm back at end of week.

Plenty of backcountry skiboarding and snowshoeing left.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Never underestimate nature. We had spring snow of top of hardpark and this avalanche came down just over a week ago.

Somewhere under the rubble is the remains of a mountain hut.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Skiboarder
    There's another winter coming....

I know it's not even summer yet, but there's fresh snow on the peaks today, and I just bought my 2018/19 season pass for the Horse. There's a secret locals-only early bird deal which made it a pretty reasonable buy.

I was planning to hike and ride the 7 today, but it was too rainy and probably not high enough to make it a powder day.
    CONFORMITY IS FOR COWARDS