!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 26th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings or Spruce Pro Sport bindings CAN be filled during this period.
  1. #1 How stiff should snowboard boots be? 
    Junior Skiboarder
    I'm going to give skiboarding a try this Presidents Day weekend by renting a pair from skiboards.com. I'm going to rent a pair with snowboard bindings and the question I have is how stiff should the snowboard boots be.

Should I even pay attention to the flex ratings even though some an SBOL post I read said that flex rating is not consistent across manufacturers?

As stiff as they can be whilst still remaining comfortable. That usually means the higher end freestyle boots like the Samson Malamutes. There several options out there and they don’t have to be too pricey. Hopefully others will chime in either there options.
    Just these, nothing else !

If youíre buying new boots, Iíd look for a higher flex rating. It makes sense to want a stiffer boot. That said, I use the same boots I used with my snowboard (I believe they are Salomon Ivyís), which are listed as Medium flex. They are absolutely fine for me. If you rented from skiboards.com, I assume youíll have the Technine bindings, so youíll have the third strap up at the ankle. That top strap adds a good deal of support. If youíre renting boots, you may not get a whole lot of choice. Donít get hung up on the details. Iíd avoid a true soft flex boot, but if the boot is medium to stiff, youíll be fine. When youíre buying, then you can target a higher flex rating.

Junior Skiboarder
    Thanks guys for the input. I'll look for the stiffest boot available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgodshall17 View Post
    If youíre buying new boots, Iíd look for a higher flex rating. It makes sense to want a stiffer boot. That said, I use the same boots I used with my snowboard (I believe they are Salomon Ivyís), which are listed as Medium flex. They are absolutely fine for me. If you rented from skiboards.com, I assume youíll have the Technine bindings, so youíll have the third strap up at the ankle. That top strap adds a good deal of support. If youíre renting boots, you may not get a whole lot of choice. Donít get hung up on the details. Iíd avoid a true soft flex boot, but if the boot is medium to stiff, youíll be fine. When youíre buying, then you can target a higher flex rating.