1. #1 3 boards and a question 
    Hello,

I know there are quite of few of you who have ridden multiple boards over the years so thought I would reach out.,

Background

5’10
    220lbs
    Green and Blue Groomers ( usually with my 7 yr old so not a speed demon)

Western Canada. Varied conditions in the mountains (Lake Louise, Sunshine, Kicking horse. Man made hardpack at my local hill.

Started on a pair of 90cm snow blades. Picked up a pair of Spruce 120’s last year. I like them, but also miss how nimble my blades were. I feel like my tails keep getting caught up. The question - Is the loss of nimble from the increased width or increased length? This may help with second board selection.

I’ve looked at the following boards and think they may work well.

Blunt XL
    Revolt
    SII

Given my background above can someone who has ridden these boards let me know their thoughts on what will work best.

Many Thanks,

TDD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. #2 3 boards and a question 
    Of the three, the Ickys are the most versatile and “easiest” to ride. They are certainly fun and nimble. Not quite this simple, but the Revolts would be best in the park and the XLs best in powder.

My choice obviously would be the Ickys.
    Just these, nothing else !

Quote Originally Posted by tdd111 View Post
    ..... Started on a pair of 90cm snow blades. Picked up a pair of Spruce 120’s last year. I like them, but also miss how nimble my blades were. I feel like my tails keep getting caught up. The question - Is the loss of nimble from the increased width or increased length?....
    Scenario #1: If you feel like the tails of the 120s are getting "caught" on each other that's mostly likely the length. Going shorter will help with this or giving yourself some more time to get used to them. My first pair of 120s felt like this but my technique improved the more I rode them.

Scenario #2 If you feel like the tails are getting "caught" on the snow/ice and hooking an edge that may be the way you ride the 120s. Many riders have felt they can hook going into or coming out of a turn. The easy fix to the is to detune the edges at the tip and tail. To do this use a honing stone to dull the edge. You'll want to knock down the very first and last 1-2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by tdd111 View Post
    .... I’ve looked at the following boards and think they may work well.

Blunt XL
    Revolt
    SII

Given my background above can someone who has ridden these boards let me know their thoughts on what will work best. ....
    Blunt XLs - certainly shorter than the 120s. Will perform better than the others in powder and deeper stuff. They will feel much wider and if you think the width of the 120s is giving you problems these won't help with that.

Revolts - If 99% of your time is Green and Blue groomers these are a great choice and easy to find 2nd hand if you are looking to save some cash. As a full camber board they may have the same hooking (Scenario #2) if you think that's your problem.

SIIs - the stickies are a great minimalistic package. If you want a wide performance envelop but miss the skate-like feel of your 90cm blades this is the way to go. The only caution here is on powder days they may be undersized for your weight. I am about your weight and they are tough in powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Of the three, the Ickys are the most versatile and “easiest” to ride. They are certainly fun and nimble. Not quite this simple, but the Revolts would be best in the park and the XLs best in powder.

My choice obviously would be the Ickys.
    Good advice from the Bad Wolf .... I agree, my notes above just add some additional thoughts.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Thanks Gents. As always, I appreciate your insight and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I got back on my Ospreys today after weeks of Crossbows. Those 132s felt like long sticks compared to the 115s. Nowhere near as nimble to turn and quite a bit more slarving going on in bends rather than just carving through.

When it comes to riding across groomed pistes I far rather prefer nimbleness. When it comes to off-piste I go with stability and not having to sit back too much (Yikes, that powder burn). Your choice is going to come down to where you're going to ride most opn the new boards.
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '83 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers
    '15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots