Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1 A few questions to help me decide on new boards 
    Junior Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    I've been happily riding a set of Revolts I picked up used a few years back. I've always thought I'd pick out a new pair when I set some money aside, but now that I have, I just can't decide what to get or if I should just stick with what I got.
    I've considered getting some Blunts with a softboot setup. I like the idea of those comfy boots, but I'm a bit unsure of a) the safety b) whether I'll be able to control the boards as well with that binding choice and c) will I like the feel of the full rocker.
    I've also been considering the Sticky Ickies. I spend 99 per cent of my time on groomed runs and they sound like a good choice.
    My question with these is...would they provide enough of a different (or better) experience than my old Revolts to warrant putting money into them.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Hardcore Skiboarder Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,294
    Rep Power
    12
    As long as you are not venturing into the park, I would say yes, the Ickys are the way to go for a versatile groomer board. They are also great in light powder, trees, bumps and crud. They are just easy and effortless to ride. The most fun skiboards I have ridden.
    Just these, nothing else !

    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3 Thanks 
    Junior Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    I have been leaning towards those Ickies. I just wasn't sure if they'd be about the same as the Revolts. It's sounding like they definitely have the edge. Now to bite the bullet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4 One more question 
    Junior Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm also trying to decide whether or not to buy new release bindings to go with them. I'm figuring my current bindings and boards are from 2013. Anyone know the lifespan of bindings?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    4
    It doesn't sound like you really know what you want from a new set of boards, and it isn't clear how the Revolts fall short of your expectations. Stickys and other rockered + cambered boards have a different ride and are more leisurely, forgiving and versatile than full cambered boards like the Revolts. But my position is that this "all-mountain" capability comes at the cost of not excelling under more extreme environments and demands. You should consider meeting up with other riders to try their boards or even doing the try-and-buy program from SBOL.

    Edit - rephrase my position.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6 A few questions to help me decide on new boards 
    Hardcore Skiboarder Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,294
    Rep Power
    12
    What binding do you currently have? Generally non release bindings last for ever, but the springs in release bindings can wear over time. If in doubt your local shop can test your release values for you.

    Worth noting, to use the rear set of inserts on the Ickys, for set back, requires a release binding on a riser.
    Just these, nothing else !

    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by nnuke View Post
    I'm also trying to decide whether or not to buy new release bindings to go with them. I'm figuring my current bindings and boards are from 2013. Anyone know the lifespan of bindings?
    Bindings last well over a decade if you take care of them. I try to go with release bindings most of the time for the safety factor, but there is no question that non-release offers more control and feedback.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Junior Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun Machine View Post
    It doesn't sound like you really know what you want from a new set of boards, and it isn't clear how the Revolts fall short of your expectations. Stickys and other rockered + cambered boards have a different ride and are more leisurely, forgiving and versatile than full cambered boards like the Revolts. But many including myself have commented that this "all-mountain" capability comes at the cost of not excelling under more extreme environments and demands. You should consider meeting up with other riders to try their boards or even doing the try-and-buy program from SBOL.
    It's true that I don't know what I want from a new set of boards. I really enjoy the Revolts. I also really enjoyed my dinky little "snowblades" I had prior to them. So I can't help but wonder if I don't know what I'm missing with the newer designs. My Revolts are used and a little dinged up, so I'm partly just looking for something shiny and new, I suppose. I have the set of Trees with the white bases, so I think they're even older than I was thinking. I'd love to be able to just try a bunch of different boards, but I'm in Eastern Canada so that's not likely to happen anytime soon. Thanks for your feedback.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Junior Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    What binding do you currently have? Generally non release bindings last for ever, but the springs in release bindings can wear over time. If in doubt your local shop can test your release values for you.

    Worth noting, to use the rear set of inserts on the Ickys, for set back, requires a release binding on a riser.
    I have release bindings on the Spruce Riser which I'm now thinking are older than 2013's. Getting them tested is a great idea. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Hardcore Skiboarder Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,294
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun Machine View Post
    But many including myself have commented that this "all-mountain" capability comes at the cost of not excelling under more extreme environments and demands.
    The extensive archives of positive reviews about the Ickys do not support your opinion that "many, including myself, have commented that this "all-mountain" capability comes at the cost of not excelling under more extreme environments and demands."

    Compared to the traditionally cambered boards, like the Revolts, general opinion on this forum rates the Ickys higher in ride quality, feedback, stability at speed, turn initiation, edge grip, crud busting and powder flotation. The Revolts win the edge in park related activities like landing jumps. Because the Ickys can be ridden leisurely, does not mean that they cannot be ridden aggressively. In fact, it is their capability to excel at both that makes them so popular and versatile. I have yet to read a review of someone stating they were let down by the Ickys in an "extreme environment" in which a board like the Revolts would have excelled. Yet there are many reports of the Ickys carrying riders through crud in the trees where traditional boards have previously failed them?
    Just these, nothing else !

    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    The extensive archives of positive reviews about the Ickys do not support your opinion that "many, including myself, have commented that this "all-mountain" capability comes at the cost of not excelling under more extreme environments and demands."
    I will edit my post to better word my position, but I still stand by it. There are numerous comments from riders that suggest that they may not excel under more extreme environments and demands compared to other boards. These are not negative reviews but rather constructive comments about Stickys in positive reviews or comparative comments about what you have to do on Stickys in certain environments. You yourself made implied comments in the Chronic thread on why something more than the existing skiboard lineup (including the Stickys) might be desirable, and that led to the Crossbows which in my opinion may turn out to be superior than Stickys in many ways.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12 Lovin' the SIIs 
    Junior Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    As long as you are not venturing into the park, I would say yes, the Ickys are the way to go for a versatile groomer board. They are also great in light powder, trees, bumps and crud. They are just easy and effortless to ride. The most fun skiboards I have ridden.
    Picked up and tried out my new Sticky Ickies today and I LOVE them! I've never ridden so fast and so comfortably in late day, chopped up, icy conditions. And they're so much easier, and fun, to skate. Absolutely no regrets on board choice here. Thanks for recommending them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    Hardcore Skiboarder Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,294
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by nnuke View Post
    Picked up and tried out my new Sticky Ickies today and I LOVE them! I've never ridden so fast and so comfortably in late day, chopped up, icy conditions. And they're so much easier, and fun, to skate. Absolutely no regrets on board choice here. Thanks for recommending them.
    Great!
    Just these, nothing else !

    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Tabs System by vbSoporte - vBulletin en Espaņol