!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 26th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings or Spruce Pro Sport bindings CAN be filled during this period.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
  1. #16  
    Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Leashes are a hazard? Really? Why?
    Next time that you ride on a chairlift, watch how close other folk's skis/snowboards often get to your non-release binding's toe release catches. Think of the consequences if they accidentally got flipped wide open and the skiboard wasn't attached to your leg via a leash.
    I'm always worried with leashes that I'll hook them on a branch while cutting through tight trees, and get my legs ripped out from under me, even if they are tucked into my pants. I go through some pretty tight glades on a regular basis. I won't generally ride with a season's pass on a lanyard around my neck for the same reason. It's selfish in terms of hazard awareness, though.

    With the amount of pressure it takes to release my toe catches (it hurts to do them up without gloves on), I'm not concerned about a release in that scenario, although I agree it could have some pretty serious consequences. Mind you, if that's the case than all skis should be leashed in case their heel releases get bumped on the chair. Brakes won't stop a falling ski mid-air.

    I've never had an unintentional release in many years of hard riding, which I suppose is a factor. Last year I did see one on a board I had loaned to a friend (luckily on not much of a slope, and I was nearby to grab it), so I'm more likely to leash up someone who's trying them out from now on. I think he was using very large touring-style boots and it admittedly wasn't the best fit to start with.

    If I'm back to Kicking Horse next season, I'm probably going to rig up a breakaway leash system that would stop a rogue board in case of a binding break, but tear free in a tree-catch scenario. I've got some industrial double-sided velcro that would probably work as the breakaway element. Retractable leashes might make me feel a little better as well, so that they can't hang loose of the boot.
    CONFORMITY IS FOR COWARDS
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #17  
    Hardcore Skiboarder Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,340
    Rep Power
    12
    Breakaway leashes are a great idea. They have breakaway straps on poles for the same safety reasons. I’ve never considered getting my leashes caught in branches, but you are right, that could have dramatically bad results.
    Just these, nothing else !

    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #18  
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
    If I'm back to Kicking Horse next season, I'm probably going to rig up a breakaway leash system that would stop a rogue board in case of a binding break, but tear free in a tree-catch scenario. I've got some industrial double-sided velcro that would probably work as the breakaway element. Retractable leashes might make me feel a little better as well, so that they can't hang loose of the boot.
    I don't know what they're called or who makes them (got them as part of a used board setup), but you might want to look at wire coil leashes. They're about 4" in length that expands to over 4' when uncoiled under tension, and they have a clip on the boot side and a 3" (adjustable) string on the binding side. The string side is on the heel arm, and I bring the leash up the back and outside to clip it to my top buckle. There is only about 1-2" of exposed string (not any of the coil) up the heel before the leash disappears under my pant leg, and there is nothing loose because of the tension of the coil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #19 Skiboardsonline.com Blue Coil Leash 
    Hardcore Skiboarder Gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    670
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun Machine View Post
    I don't know what they're called or who makes them (got them as part of a used board setup), but you might want to look at wire coil leashes. They're about 4" in length that expands to over 4' when uncoiled under tension, and they have a clip on the boot side and a 3" (adjustable) string on the binding side. The string side is on the heel arm, and I bring the leash up the back and outside to clip it to my top buckle. There is only about 1-2" of exposed string (not any of the coil) up the heel before the leash disappears under my pant leg, and there is nothing loose because of the tension of the coil.
    For many seasons, Greco supplied the SnowJam Pro Coil Leash but it would appear that those are no longer available so he has sourced a replacement, the SBOL Blue Coil Leash. They look very similar to the old ones.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #20  
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    For many seasons, Greco supplied the SnowJam Pro Coil Leash but it would appear that those are no longer available so he has sourced a replacement, the SBOL Blue Coil Leash. They look very similar to the old ones.
    Yes, that's the style though mine is a different model. I don't recommend attaching these coil leashes on the inside of the boots like in the picture of the sold out Pro Coils. I did that at first but found them to snag against the board on the other foot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #21  
    Hardcore Skiboarder ysb33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Andorra
    Age
    51
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    For many seasons, Greco supplied the SnowJam Pro Coil Leash but it would appear that those are no longer available so he has sourced a replacement, the SBOL Blue Coil Leash. They look very similar to the old ones.
    Here's video of them in action.

    https://youtu.be/wGeekbHzDZA

    Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '83 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

    '12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers
    '15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots


    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Tabs System by vbSoporte - vBulletin en Espaņol