!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 26th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings or Spruce Pro Sport bindings CAN be filled during this period.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Skiboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Leashes are a hazard? Really? Why?
    Next time that you ride on a chairlift, watch how close other folk's skis/snowboards often get to your non-release binding's toe release catches. Think of the consequences if they accidentally got flipped wide open and the skiboard wasn't attached to your leg via a leash.
    I'm always worried with leashes that I'll hook them on a branch while cutting through tight trees, and get my legs ripped out from under me, even if they are tucked into my pants. I go through some pretty tight glades on a regular basis. I won't generally ride with a season's pass on a lanyard around my neck for the same reason. It's selfish in terms of hazard awareness, though.

With the amount of pressure it takes to release my toe catches (it hurts to do them up without gloves on), I'm not concerned about a release in that scenario, although I agree it could have some pretty serious consequences. Mind you, if that's the case than all skis should be leashed in case their heel releases get bumped on the chair. Brakes won't stop a falling ski mid-air.

I've never had an unintentional release in many years of hard riding, which I suppose is a factor. Last year I did see one on a board I had loaned to a friend (luckily on not much of a slope, and I was nearby to grab it), so I'm more likely to leash up someone who's trying them out from now on. I think he was using very large touring-style boots and it admittedly wasn't the best fit to start with.

If I'm back to Kicking Horse next season, I'm probably going to rig up a breakaway leash system that would stop a rogue board in case of a binding break, but tear free in a tree-catch scenario. I've got some industrial double-sided velcro that would probably work as the breakaway element. Retractable leashes might make me feel a little better as well, so that they can't hang loose of the boot.
    CONFORMITY IS FOR COWARDS

Breakaway leashes are a great idea. They have breakaway straps on poles for the same safety reasons. I’ve never considered getting my leashes caught in branches, but you are right, that could have dramatically bad results.
    Just these, nothing else !

Hardcore Skiboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
    If I'm back to Kicking Horse next season, I'm probably going to rig up a breakaway leash system that would stop a rogue board in case of a binding break, but tear free in a tree-catch scenario. I've got some industrial double-sided velcro that would probably work as the breakaway element. Retractable leashes might make me feel a little better as well, so that they can't hang loose of the boot.
    I don't know what they're called or who makes them (got them as part of a used board setup), but you might want to look at wire coil leashes. They're about 4" in length that expands to over 4' when uncoiled under tension, and they have a clip on the boot side and a 3" (adjustable) string on the binding side. The string side is on the heel arm, and I bring the leash up the back and outside to clip it to my top buckle. There is only about 1-2" of exposed string (not any of the coil) up the heel before the leash disappears under my pant leg, and there is nothing loose because of the tension of the coil.

4. #19 Skiboardsonline.com Blue Coil Leash 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun Machine View Post
    I don't know what they're called or who makes them (got them as part of a used board setup), but you might want to look at wire coil leashes. They're about 4" in length that expands to over 4' when uncoiled under tension, and they have a clip on the boot side and a 3" (adjustable) string on the binding side. The string side is on the heel arm, and I bring the leash up the back and outside to clip it to my top buckle. There is only about 1-2" of exposed string (not any of the coil) up the heel before the leash disappears under my pant leg, and there is nothing loose because of the tension of the coil.
    For many seasons, Greco supplied the SnowJam Pro Coil Leash but it would appear that those are no longer available so he has sourced a replacement, the SBOL Blue Coil Leash. They look very similar to the old ones.

Hardcore Skiboarder
    For many seasons, Greco supplied the SnowJam Pro Coil Leash but it would appear that those are no longer available so he has sourced a replacement, the SBOL Blue Coil Leash. They look very similar to the old ones.
    Yes, that's the style though mine is a different model. I don't recommend attaching these coil leashes on the inside of the boots like in the picture of the sold out Pro Coils. I did that at first but found them to snag against the board on the other foot.

Here's video of them in action.

https://youtu.be/wGeekbHzDZA

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '83 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers
    '15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots