!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 26th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings or Spruce Pro Sport bindings CAN be filled during this period.
  1. #1 Mountain Biking at Royal Gorge Cross Country Ski Area 
    I know there are a number of mountain bikers on this forum and I thought I would include a summer post. The largest cross country ski area in the United States sits up at Donner Summit near Lake Tahoe . I have done a lot of winter cross country skiing there in the past . Currently the winter operation is run by Sugar Bowl. The land on which the ski area sits was acquired by SF bay area developers and a huge winter/summer home and rental resort was being planned . After much grass roots efforts and environmental concerns and lobbying the land was acquired by the public Truckee Donner Land Trust . Now summer recreation including hiking , mountain biking , and horseback riding free of charge is allowed on the land that is used in the winter as a cross country ski resort. I have been really interested in trying out summer mountain biking on this land and went up there today .
    Here is some info on the Truckee Donner Land Trust .

Here is the nice parking lot . Not too crowded ! That's my van.

DSC_0019

The sign. I like the "Spirit of Howdy"

DSC_0020

Trails are very lightly used . Here are various trail photos. There are some rocky and technical sections and some steep sections up hill requiring me to push my bike up hill . Some nice fast descents . Most however are nice wide non technical double track sections with very few users.
    DSC_0012

DSC_0013

DSC_0002

Here is a view descending down into a meadow with Hellman ski warming hut in the meadow.
    DSC_0011

Here is the cross country ski map posted at the warming hut showing my location . I am headed out to Pt. Mariah overlooking the the Royal Gorge of the American River for which the ski area is named.
    DSC_0010

There are a few other mountain bikers at the trails end at Pt. Mariah. Bikes are parked against a tree and there is a short walk to the view point .
    DSC_0009
    DSC_0005
    There are a couple of lakes on the property . Here is a view of one of them. Lake Kilborn.
    DSC_0015

I kind of overextended myself today and was really pooped by the time I got to the lake and was downhill from my car. I chose to go back to the car up this nice firm dirt maintenance road instead of on the trails.
    DSC_0018

Hopefully I can have a chance to meet up with Sempai and his new stand up mountain cycle out here!
    https://www.cyclete.com/
    Boards :
    Blunt Xls -SBOL Modified GNU Rear Entry Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors- SBOL Modified Sims Cipher Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors - Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor Binding -
    Spliffs -Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor binding
    Spruce Osprey - Center Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Ambition AT binding
    Spruce Sherpa - Rear Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Fritschi AT binding

Boots:
    Ride Insano Snowboard Boots
    Full Tilt Booters

Soon please! Looks like fun.

Skiboards:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2018 Spruce Crossbows w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Skis:
    2015 Blizzard Regulators
    w/Rossignol Axial3 120s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Hardcore Skiboarder macrophotog's Avatar
    Very nice! I’d love to have access to areas like that for biking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Head - Ethan Too 141 & 151, SuperShape i.Titan 156
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Faction - Candide 2.0 166
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, Rockered Condor, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Head Salamander 94, Caddy 131 & 151, and Ethan Too 161. Atomic - 1:20, Access 151, and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Tyrolia PRD 12, Spruce Pro Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13
    Boots
    Atomic Overload Reactor 100

Skiboarder
    Very nice! Is most of the riding on existing cross-country ski trails, or are there mountain bike specific routes too?

ummm... I hope you brought lots of snacks, wouldn't want to get hungry up there

I've been slacking on the mountain biking for quite a few years now, but am determined to make a better go of it this summer. Being able to hit two decent trail networks right out my back door (no driving) will help. There are too many fun things to do in the summer, so I need to start biking after work. Kayaking and fishing are too tempting on the weekend.

I'm way more mellow on a bike than boards though... dirt hurts way more than snow, even on minor falls. Still gunning for one last board run this weekend, if the 7 is still there. Last week it got fresh snow twice, but this week's been hot. I may need to build a kicker in the middle if a gap melts out... It's skinnier now than last year when I hiked it.

CONFORMITY IS FOR COWARDS

5. #5 Cyclete? Gotta hear more about that. 
    Ok, I'm dying to know more about this Cyclete. Sempai, do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgodshall17 View Post
    Ok, I'm dying to know more about this Cyclete. Sempai, do tell.
    What would you like to know? It's a beast with 3-inch wide 29-er tires. You stand instead of sit. It combines running and biking. It's very comfortable with no sore back, neck, or knees, and best of all no saddle soreness. Check out Cyclete.com if you haven't already.

Skiboards:

Skis:
    2015 Blizzard Regulators
    w/Rossignol Axial3 120s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Quote Originally Posted by sempai View Post
    What would you like to know? It's a beast with 3-inch wide 29-er tires. You stand instead of sit. It combines running and biking. It's very comfortable with no sore back, neck, or knees, and best of all no saddle soreness. Check out Cyclete.com if you haven't already.
    Curious what made you move to a stand-up bike? I haven't ridden a bike in a few years. My husband and my boys like to ride, but I have arthritis in my hands that makes shifting gears and gripping the handle bars rough on anything other smooth roads. Curious how the stand-up posture on this would feel for me. Not something I had heard of before the comment popped up in this thread. You learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dgodshall17 View Post
    Curious what made you move to a stand-up bike? I haven't ridden a bike in a few years. My husband and my boys like to ride, but I have arthritis in my hands that makes shifting gears and gripping the handle bars rough on anything other smooth roads. Curious how the stand-up posture on this would feel for me. Not something I had heard of before the comment popped up in this thread. You learn something new every day!
    I have a bad lower back. I had one back surgery in the early 90's. A few years back I ruptured three more discs. I have yet to have surgery to take care of them. I also had my neck fused in '05. Riding a traditional bike is out of the question for me. In 2012 I discovered the ElliptiGO. It's another stand-up bike. I was riding it until recently when the Cyclete came to be. I switched to the Cyclete because of bigger tires and off-road capabilities. I listed all the advantages in my previous post. Oh, it's also easier to see and be seen on a stand-up.

Skiboards:

Skis:
    2015 Blizzard Regulators
    w/Rossignol Axial3 120s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80