1. #1 2016 vs 2019 Spliffs 
    I have decided to pick up a pair of Spliffs for the coming season. Although I've been loving the Sherpas, my particular pair is at the end of their useable lifetime (I am not gentle lol), and I rode my buddy's KTPs quite a bit last season and I think it's time for me to go back to something a little shorter. It will be nice moving back to a lighter simpler setup with non-release bindings and no poles. I am pumped.

Anyways, I've been eyeing those 2016 Spliffs ever since they came out. They have my absolute favorite graphic of any ski or skiboard I have ever seen. However, I noticed that the price is a little higher for the 2019 version and that the picture appears to show an extra set of inserts for setback riding. From the reading I've done on the Spliffs, it seems like this could be a big improvement. I have two questions:

1) Do the 2019 Spliffs in fact have extra inserts (the picture looks like it, but it's not mentioned in the description)?

2) Which ones do y'all think I should get? The great looking ones or the ones with more potential for powder riding? ( I am in California this year so that is actually relevant)

Quote Originally Posted by mhealey View Post
    I have two questions:

1) Do the 2019 Spliffs in fact have extra inserts (the picture looks like it, but it's not mentioned in the description)?
    They are supposed to have the additional inserts. Sempai posted the following in another thread when the question was raised:
    Quote Originally Posted by sempai View Post
    It shows the extra inserts in the large graphic. Greco responded on Facebook that the Spliffs are supposed to have the added inserts, but he won't know if they actually will until he sees the boards from the manufacturer.
    2) Which ones do y'all think I should get? The great looking ones or the ones with more potential for powder riding? ( I am in California this year so that is actually relevant)
    I love my first generation Spliffs. I honestly wish they had the extra inserts on powder days but I ride with release bindings. Since you are planning to ride with non-release bindings the inserts would not help you anyway as they are intended to set back the Spruce risers not standard 4x4 bindings. With the non-release bindings you are intending to use you would have to get any setback from the binding or modify it to work with a 4x10 insert pattern as the extra inserts will likely work like the SIIs.

In conclusion .... buy the pretty ones and be happy.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Moderator / Hardcore Skiboarder Greco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    They are supposed to have the additional inserts. Sempai posted the following in another thread when the question was raised:

I love my first generation Spliffs. I honestly wish they had the extra inserts on powder days but I ride with release bindings. Since you are planning to ride with non-release bindings the inserts would not help you anyway as they are intended to set back the Spruce risers not standard 4x4 bindings. With the non-release bindings you are intending to use you would have to get any setback from the binding or modify it to work with a 4x10 insert pattern as the extra inserts will likely work like the SIIs.

In conclusion .... buy the pretty ones and be happy.
    As usual Wookie is correct. FYI, there is only one pair left of the 2016 Spliff, after it's gone it's likely that graphic will never be available again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Because Skiboarding Needs A Future Too!

Wookie, thanks for the clarificatation on the inserts. I was under the impression that they were going to be like the KTPs, but now I know.

Greco, thanks for the heads-up on the inventory. It looks like no one will be having this dilemma in the future as I just bought the last pair

Wookie, thanks for the clarificatation on the inserts. I was under the impression that they were going to be like the KTPs, but now I know.
    I know it's been touched on already, but remember that there are lots of ways to get a little set back without the extra inserts. With little imagination you can adjust non release, release, demo bindings, and even make custom risers to get the riding position you want.
    Just these, nothing else !

SBOL Team III
    Quote Originally Posted by Greco View Post
    FYI, there is only one pair left of the 2016 Spliff, after it's gone it's likely that graphic will never be available again.
    (Thinks to myself) oh no that’s the most beautiful graphic I need to jump on it even though I own a pair

Greco, thanks for the heads-up on the inventory. It looks like no one will be having this dilemma in the future as I just bought the last pair
    Nooooo! It’s too late! #Spliff2016-2020 edition

In all seriousness those things are beauts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skiboarder
    You'll be fine on the 2016s in powder. Rode them on closing day at Whitewater last year with 50 cm of fresh, and they soaked up every drop I could throw at them .

I'm sad to hear that the graphic's all gone though; I liked it so much I bought a spare board off Greco last year and hung it on my wall as art.

well, it's also a backup for a board I mangled, but I really did hang it on the wall in the meantime.
    CONFORMITY IS FOR COWARDS

.... It looks like no one will be having this dilemma in the future as I just bought the last pair
    Enjoy and thanks from making my pair a collector's item
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm