Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Up to 25cm of snow dumped in the Arcalis resort. This was not really noticeable on the the pistes, but one of the freeride zones opened.

Realising this we headed over there on Crossbows. On the first run a took a accidental small jump and ended catching ond the tips the deep snow upon landing. Mmmm... I thought maybe we should ride them set back.

Off to the car we went and made tge adjustments. Neither of us ever rode them set back, ao we headed off to the groomed runs first to see if we noticed any difference.

I had no problem sitting back on the tails I noticed pretty early on and I think the heel turns are not as subtle as when mijnted centre. I also think i got a bit more skate action out a set back position.

So then we went back to the freeride area for some extra runs. Although the area is not very steep in many places one gas to keep wits about due some rocks and boulders and the turning space between them being small.

It was definitely easier in the deep snow on set back and I found that I happily floated down the fresh snow with tips up.

Verdict: center mount for playing on tge groomers, set back for soft snow.

However I might leave them in set back for the next visit to Arcalis.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '18 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots

Quote Originally Posted by ysb33r View Post

Verdict: center mount for playing on tge groomers, set back for soft snow.

However I might leave them in set back for the next visit to Arcalis.

Hi Ysb33r, glad you are getting some snow ! I enjoyed your take on the Crossbows . I agree completely . I tend to just leave them set back as I am always looking for soft snow off piste and have adjusted to riding them on firm snow that way . By the way how do you ride the Ospreys ? Do you always leave them center mount or do you set them back in soft snow ? I know you have a set permanently mounted with touring bindings , is that center mounted? Although I ride the Sherpas set back in soft snow , I tend to just leave the Ospreys centered all the time. Just was wondering what you have found with them ? And also how they compare to the Crossbows for you ?
    Boards :
    Blunt Xls -SBOL Modified GNU Rear Entry Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors- SBOL Modified Sims Cipher Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors - Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor Binding -
    Spliffs -Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor binding
    Spruce Osprey - Center Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Ambition AT binding
    Spruce Sherpa - Rear Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Fritschi AT binding

Boots:
    Ride Insano Snowboard Boots
    Full Tilt Booters

Quote Originally Posted by jjue View Post
    Hi Ysb33r, glad you are getting some snow ! I enjoyed your take on the Crossbows . I agree completely . I tend to just leave them set back as I am always looking for soft snow off piste and have adjusted to riding them on firm snow that way . By the way how do you ride the Ospreys ? Do you always leave them center mount or do you set them back in soft snow ? I know you have a set permanently mounted with touring bindings , is that center mounted? Although I ride the Sherpas set back in soft snow , I tend to just leave the Ospreys centered all the time. Just was wondering what you have found with them ? And also how they compare to the Crossbows for you ?
    Yes Jack, the Ospreys are pretty much center. This season I have not had chance to ride them in deep snow yet. I wished I had them with me though. I would have liked to see how they did on the same terrain. I would have taken poles with them though. The Ospreys are definitely harder to turn too.

My daughter remarked that with the Crossbows set back she had to put a little more effort into the turn.

'18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Weather was dire on the mountain this morning, so we did only a few runs. I spent the afternoon instead finding myself another Buff windproof neckwarmer. (https://www.buff.com/ad/professional...low-fluor.html).

Unlike other Buff products, these consist of a small fleece section to pull over one's mouth and nose, whilst the rest is some non-irritant material sandwiching Gore Windstopper. Since using it I have felt much more toasty without ever overheating. I have used it for both downhill skiing and ascending with great effect.

I have never felt comforrable with the neoprene face masks that many people wear, but this Buff product I can achieve the same with much for effectiveness.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

5. #35 Ski biking 
    I managed to achieve a milestone today - first ever day ski-biking. Knowing that it would be a sunny, no-wind, weekday we headed up to rent some 3-ski snow bikes and 2-ski skibikes.

We returned the snow bikes after just some runs and continued on the Sledgehammer skibikes.

Main achievement of the day: I never wiped out!

Suddenly I was a beginner again and spent the first hour on the bunny slope trying to figure how to stop and get some turns. At lunch time my calves were burning which I put down to bad technique. I did progress though and rode a number of blue slopes.

Hey ho, I did have a lot of fun and might consider buying one in future.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

My calves are still hurting from yesterday's ki-biking. We shuold get some snow tomorrow again, so Friday morning I'll hit one of the resorts, hoping for enough sof snow on the side-pistes. I am considering taking only the Ospreys and trying to improve my off-piste riding skills with and without poles.

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '11 Allz Elaila 94