Thread: Head Ethan Too

1. #1 Head Ethan Too 
    Skiboarder
    Hi, I Just got hold of what is probably the last pair of the Head Ethan Too Skiís in Europe. They are bare so wondered if best getting a binding fitted to them (I think spruce used a head/tyrolia rail setup) or as I have risers for my sticky ickyís should I get them drilled out and fit inserts? I think there is a thread on here on how to do this maybe?
    Also were these centrally mounted or if anyone has a pair rough idea of measurements that would help loads.

Thank You Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardcore Skiboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsbuzz1966 View Post
    Hi, I Just got hold of what is probably the last pair of the Head Ethan Too Ski’s in Europe. They are bare so wondered if best getting a binding fitted to them (I think spruce used a head/tyrolia rail setup) or as I have risers for my sticky icky’s should I get them drilled out and fit inserts? I think there is a thread on here on how to do this maybe?
    Also were these centrally mounted or if anyone has a pair rough idea of measurements that would help loads.
    I think "best" depends on your personal preference. If you want to mount Spruce risers, then you need to install T-nuts from the base of the skis. I think Kocho has a video of how to do this here. You cannot use the binding freedom inserts installed from the top (at least by themselves) because they will probably be too long and certainly aren't strong enough for the risers - you will probably rip them out on any serious impact. If you want to use normal bindings, then take a look at the skis and look for the screw depth they accept - probably 7mm which is standard for junior skis. Depending on the length and thickness of your E2s they might be able to accept the adult 9mm screws. My JC 131 and E2 141s take 7mm, but my JC151 accept 9mm. If your E2s will accept adult bindings, then you can get them mounted at any shop. I and many here really like the Tyrolia PR bindings. If your E2s only accept 7mm and you are too heavy (probably > about 50kg) to use junior bindings, then you need 2mm+ reinforcement plate to mount adult bindings onto the skis. Jeff @ Spruce sells this setup as a package (but not the plates by themselves). You can DIY this, though. Looking at my JC and E2, the plates appear to be epoxied to the skis (probably screwed down at 4 spots per plate, but I can't see this under the rails) and the SLR/PR rails are mounted through the plates onto the skis.

If you decide to go with SLR or PR, let me know and I can dig up the mounting measurements I used or just measure the holes on my skis.

Skiboarder
    Thank you Fun Machine for you thoughts on this and particularly the technical issue of using 9mm screws with adult bindings. Mine are the 141cm version so looking like yours and will accept 7mm (I will check once delivered) thanks also for the binding recommendations... I will give it some thought.. I know Jeff sold some of these with the inserts so is doable I check out the video too. Cheers

Hardcore Skiboarder macrophotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsbuzz1966 View Post
    Thank you Fun Machine for you thoughts on this and particularly the technical issue of using 9mm screws with adult bindings. Mine are the 141cm version so looking like yours and will accept 7mm (I will check once delivered) thanks also for the binding recommendations... I will give it some thought.. I know Jeff sold some of these with the inserts so is doable I check out the video too. Cheers
    The 141cm Ethan Too will only work with junior bindings and the shorter screws, or with Jeff's Dyna-Plate approach with adult bindings. The 151cm and larger Ethan Too's all work with adult binding with no special plates.
    Boards / Skis
    RVL8 - Blunt XL 100
    Spruce - Crossbow 115
    Head - Ethan Too 141 & 151, SuperShape i.Titan 156
    Armada - Triple J 155
    Faction - Candide 2.0 166
    (previous: RVL8 - Revolt, KTP, DLP, Blunt, Rockered Condor, and BWP. Spruce - 120 and Osprey. Head Salamander 94, Caddy 131 & 151, and Ethan Too 161. Atomic - 1:20, Access 151, and Punx III 140. Summit Invertigo, Hagan OffLimit)
    Bindings
    Tyrolia PRD 12, Spruce Pro Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13
    Boots
    Atomic Overload Reactor 100

From personal experience, retrofitting snowboard inserts into skis or skiboards requires a high level of skill and equipment. A few of us on the forum have done it, but it is neither quick or easy, and often not satisfactory.

Itís not something a regular shop will do for you either, as it requires drilling through the base, which is time consuming and costly.

Sorry.
    Just these, nothing else !

Skiboarder
    Thank you and understand ....Maybe this purchase was a bad decision. Been wanting a slightly longer ski for a while but maybe this is the wrong ski ....Iíll look at the 2mm plate and adult binding option but happy to do the insert work to fit my risers so maybe thatís the best way forward.... any thoughts on positioning if going that route?

Skiboarder
    Iíll contact Jeff as well for the dyna plate solution as that is a tried and tested solution

Hardcore Skiboarder
    I don't want to discourage you but Bad Wolf is right. Trying to mount Spruce risers to skis takes precision, effort, know-how, and the right tools. One mistake and you'll kill those E2s. You should do some trial runs on trash skis first.

Jeff will be the best source for help with positioning measurements for both the riser inserts and the plate bindings. But basically you choose one of the 4 lines on the E2 between center and recommended, then line up the center of your boot (locked in on the binding and riser) with the chosen line on the E2 to rough mark the 4x10 positions. You have more flexibility with rail binding mounts since they slide.

Skiboarder
    Thanks funmachine ... Iíve put in an email to Jeff to get some help on this as skis arriving Tuesday and need a solution by 28th as my only ski adventure this year is 3.5 days in France... us English sure cocked up on living near mountains!!!!