1. #1 Short Skis and Long Poles 
    If you are a no pole traditionalist, just move on, nothing to see here.

I don't use poles with my Ickys, but do find them useful with the Sherpas. I was, however, starting to find that the standard length poles were forcing me more forwards than I wanted to be, in a ski like stance. Even on the longboards, I prefer to stand up straight and keep a center mount balance. So, inspired by the infamous Alta skiblader, I decided to give some longer poles a go and bought some 54 inchers from LevelNine. Sempai and I actually me this guy a few seasons ago at Westfest and spent some time with him. He is a hoot, if a little eccentric, and great to skiboard with. He had a lady with him who was just tearing up the moguls on a pair of 75 cm blades. Good times! Anyway, these new long poles are great. I can stand up straight and still get all the benefits of using poles.

Here he is, with his bamboo long poles.

Just these, nothing else !

How tall are you? I use telescopic poles and I find 125cm (~49in) work well for my 1.79m (~70in) frame to give an upright stance for going uphill and maybe just-just short for downhill.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '18 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots

Quote Originally Posted by ysb33r View Post
    How tall are you? I use telescopic poles and I find 125cm (~49in) work well for my 1.79m (~70in) frame to give an upright stance for going uphill and maybe just-just short for downhill.

5í9Ē and my new poles are 54Ē. Of course you donít have to hold them right at the ends if you need to shorten them.

Cool video. Yet again proving that all short ski riders are a bit weird but still overwhelmingly comfortable in their own skin.

Iím still not using poles.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Like Sempai , I like using telescopic poles. I use three section poles . You can make them taller for more upright stance or shorten them for more forward leaning stance, or if you are wearing a day pack just shorten them completely and put them on the pack and ride without them.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xls -SBOL Modified GNU Rear Entry Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors- SBOL Modified Sims Cipher Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors - Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor Binding -
    Spliffs -Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor binding
    Spruce Osprey - Center Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Ambition AT binding
    Spruce Sherpa - Rear Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Fritschi AT binding

Boots:
    Ride Insano Snowboard Boots
    Full Tilt Booters

Is the thought of age brings on the poles? Iíve not used them once while on shorties, but being a inline skater I know the skating technique oh so well that itís second nature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm just the FNG--== ****ing new guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom91381 View Post
    Is the thought of age brings on the poles? Iíve not used them once while on shorties, but being a inline skater I know the skating technique oh so well that itís second nature

There are a couple of reasons for me.

The first, where age may come into play, is where you have to skate on longboards. Poles make that so much easier. For instance there is a two hundred yard flat section of cat track at Snowbowl that you either have to skate or pole down. Then there are also times like lift corrals, flats, uphill hikes and getting stuck in powder.

Poles are also useful on skis and longboards when you want to adopt a more forwards ski technique and time your turns.

I donít use them with my Ickys, just my Sherpas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom91381 View Post

I think age has a little to do with it, but it's not the main factor for me. I swore I would never use poles. Then Jack let me use his in moguls one time at Heavenly. It instantly made a huge difference, less tiring and quicker getting down. I also went to using poles when riding with Jack just to be able to keep up with him in moguls and trees. Plus, they help to get around all the crazy places he likes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    There are a couple of reasons for me.

The first, where age may come into play, is where you have to skate on longboards. Poles make that so much easier. For instance there is a two hundred yard flat section of cat track at Snowbowl that you either have to skate or pole down. Then there are also times like lift corrals, flats, uphill hikes and getting stuck in powder.

Poles are also useful on skis and longboards when you want to adopt a more forwards ski technique and time your turns.
    Yes, I agree with all this too. It's harder getting around on the longboards, especially on flats, in lift lines, in powder, uphill, etc. Tom, take your Sherpas out on a powder day without poles. You'll see what we mean. Also the forward stance thing is true, especially going down a steep run. You can use the poles to keep better balance and slow down when needed.

The Sherpas were the only boards that I used poles with until recently. Jack and I were at Kirkwood both on the Crossbows, him with poles and me without. It took no time at all before I realized I needed to go back out to my Jeep and get my poles if I was to keep up with him. Good thing I did because we took our boards off and hiked out of bounds searching for untouched powder. We found it but also found ourselves in a tough situation. If I hadn't had poles, I probably wouldn't have gotten out of that situation.

Skiboards:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2018 Spruce Crossbows w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

9. #9 poles...sometimes 
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Loved that video--thanks for posting, Paul!
    I agree with Sempai that poles help in bumps or powder. They help me reach/lean forward on steep moguls that might otherwise make me nervous to get started down. They also help with unweighting for hop turns in the steeps. In the deep stuff I find they help my balance.
    That said, the last couple days out on crossbows I went pole-free because we skiid with a teen who rides long skis without poles, so I wanted to try it. They were actually pretty great without poles! Groomers were smooth, and off piste was skiid out with some chopped powder in the trees, but Crossbows were easier than I thought to manage without the sticks in line and everywhere else.
    My Westfest quiver will be Crossbows and Chad's spare XL's for Brighton trees. I'll probably use poles on the Crossbow days to improve my technique on those steeper bump runs!
    '07 "soft" ALPs
    Eyeball DLPs
    125 LEs
    Ospreys mounted bindings
    Crossbows
    Spruce riser release bindings
    Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

10. #10 Crossbow edge 
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Has anyone else hooked the outside edge of the Crossbows? They hook into that edge so well on the curves and a couple of times I must have over-exaggerated the quick turns and almost fell when the outside edge hooked in TOO much. If you've been riding XL's, it truly is such a different feeling. Just wondering if anyone else experienced that.
    '07 "soft" ALPs
    Eyeball DLPs
    125 LEs
    Ospreys mounted bindings
    Crossbows

Iím not to sure what Iím bringing to Westfest, but with my son coming I can bring at least 3 different boards. Should be XLís crossbows and Stickies, unless I get some Spliffs then it will be a toss up

Quote Originally Posted by CANtoo View Post
    Has anyone else hooked the outside edge of the Crossbows? They hook into that edge so well on the curves and a couple of times I must have over-exaggerated the quick turns and almost fell when the outside edge hooked in TOO much. If you've been riding XL's, it truly is such a different feeling. Just wondering if anyone else experienced that.
    Can happen in crud snow, but only when trying to switch a number of turns in rapid succession.

BTW this year I had them tuned to 89į edges and I've only expetienced a hooked feeling once.

'18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
    '18 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

'15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
    '12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers

'14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
    '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
    '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
    '11 Allz Elaila 94

Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots

Quote Originally Posted by ysb33r View Post
    Can happen in crud snow, but only when trying to switch a number of turns in rapid succession.

BTW this year I had them tuned to 89į edges and I've only expetienced a hooked feeling once.

Mine seemed a little aggressive with tune, so I took the bite off the tips and tails. Much better now.

14. #14 Oops--wrong thread 
    Hardcore Skiboarder
    Thanks for the helpful responses, guys. Just realized I meant to put that question in the Crossbows review thread, but was still on Paul's and accidentally posted here. Can't wait to compare notes at WestFest.
    '07 "soft" ALPs
    Eyeball DLPs
    125 LEs
    Ospreys mounted bindings
    Crossbows