!ATTENTION SHOPPERS!

SBOL will be closed from June 29th to July 28th. Orders placed during this time will be shipped on July 30th.
Note: Orders for Spruce longboards with no bindings CAN be filled during this period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Salomon no longer making Snowblades! 
    Over at skiboards.com they are redoing their web site and I noted the following :

"Salomon is no longer making skiboards (snowblades) so these are the last of them. A long tradition of quality skiboards comes to an end. "

I certainly know that many will question whether Salomon boards were "quality skiboards" but it is interesting that Salomon is finally getting out of the snowblade market ......
    Boards :
    Blunt Xls -SBOL Modified GNU Rear Entry Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors- SBOL Modified Sims Cipher Snowboard Bindings
    Rockered Condors - Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor Binding -
    Spliffs -Backcountry modified RVL8 Receptor binding
    Spruce Osprey - Center Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Ambition AT binding
    Spruce Sherpa - Rear Mounted with Spruce Backcountry riser/ Fritschi AT binding

Boots:
    Ride Insano Snowboard Boots
    Full Tilt Booters

I dont think this will change very much at all.. The snowblades leaving is just gunna mean another pair of subpar boards take their place in resorts worldwide. Although this could signal other big companies to stop making skiboards. I guess we'll just havta see what happens.

CoFounder | Skiboardmagazine.com Roussel's Avatar
    less money leaking out of the industry.

that is the best news ive ever heard for the industry

Less crap on the hills = More fun for everybody.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

I'm thinking that if Salomon stops making them that they will probably start to just disappear from rental shops, which will improve the reputation since there won't be so many people who simply rode them because they were the easiest way down. Also there will be fewer broken bones from people who haven't learned to fall right and make there be such a concern about non-release bindings.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

im lookin at it a little different. i figure in about 2 years theyll be extinct and all people will be seeing is quallity skiboards on our feet. and since theyll have no idea where snoblades went theyll be asking us about skiboards, soon enough all snowbladers will be skiboarders, and then grecos a billionaire

salomon is what brought skiboarding to the mass public eye, we have to make sure that without salomon, those eyes keep seeing skiboarding, but see what we have to offer. we need to promote skiboarding as much as possible or else we dont stand a chance without a big company like salomon doing that for us.

so spread the word, stick stickers everywhere you can, enter ski competitions, get your friends to skiboard, get them to skiboard, dont jsut step aside and let the rest of us do it!

Originally posted by Davelynam
    im lookin at it a little different. i figure in about 2 years theyll be extinct and all people will be seeing is quallity skiboards on our feet. and since theyll have no idea where snoblades went theyll be asking us about skiboards, soon enough all snowbladers will be skiboarders, and then grecos a billionaire
    There will be crap replacing old crap...........

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

manlenium, are you sayin that another company will come out makin snowblades? or what, i dont understand wht you mean

Owner, Skiboards.lv & Allz Skiboards allz's Avatar
    i think he said like - there gonna be be new crap instead of old salomon crap - but - what i see is that there are allways and will be forever very good product and the same thing but shit product....

the same as cars - we have AUDI, PORSCHE.... mercedes etc... then comes middle class and then shit class like stupid and ugly but cheap things like DACIA - we saw in romania, and so on..

so - there will be allways skiboards (so snowblades) as shit quality, bad designs and no soul of sport - elan, dynastar, fischer.. and more are making things like snowblades/skiblades...

and thats fine, bcs all ppl who wants something better than just a simple snowblade finds real skiboards - like revel8 and others and gets them. so - we need to give a chance to all ppl to get to know which are the real skiboards they can get - like - highest class u know..

Mad Scientist of RVL8 Graphics dcox20's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that's what he means... I agree actually. While I'd love to see Revel8's in rental shops I think there's a big difference between a well-made skiboard and a mass-produced rental type product (skiboard/snowblade/other). Rental shops will want to pay rock bottom pricing to keep their profit margins high, that, in turn, would require the manufacturer to produce the boards more cost-effectively (read cheap). The best ways to cut your costs on manufactured goods are to either: A) use cheaper materials, or B) outsource to a cheaper assembly plant (overseas). Either way the product suffers.

Now if G did want to do this he could find financial backers, draw up a business plan (or adapt the one he currently has), and turn Revel8 into a two-sided business. One side is the custom, well-made, wood core, "pro" series. The other side would be the mass produced (similar size and dimensions, different graphics), most likely foam core boards, "rental" series. The thought being that you hook them on the sport by giving a quality rental at a cheap price - then when they get serious enough to buy their own setup they move up to the "pro" series.

G - I'll send you an invoice for the consulting I just provided...
    Dave | Elevendy

Hardcore Skiboarder BrklynCarver's Avatar
    I agree with allz, when I was at Andorra this past season, the rental shops don't rent Salomon, instead they rent Head snowblades, which use releaseable bindings.

Even though the rental shops in the US primarily use Salomon, I noticed the European shops used those that come standard with releaseable bindings, ie Head, Fisher, Elan, Dynastar... which are all similar in shape to the Salomon Snowblades.

Even though Salomon was such a major player in this area, I'm not sure did they truely market the sport. I've never seen a single ad for them in regards to Snowblades. I think it's more the situation where the rental shops are regular customers of Salomon, and when Salomon came out with their yearly dealer price for rental shops, Snowblades were included and the shops arbitrarily grabbed the cheapest product available from them (or from any other big-name manufacturer that actively caters to the rental shops).
    Edward in NYC

honestly, i dont think rental shops will ever rent non-releasables.

A lot of the shops around here do rent Salomon's with non-release bindings. Slowly they're switching over, partially because of risk, partially because of availability, but I bet that there would be stores out there that would. As long as their cover themselves with a waiver.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs