Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Junior Skiboarder
    Oh nice dude,
    Great information.
    I like it and want to be thankful to you.
    Really very good information provided.
    Thank you

Glad it helped.

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Update:

* Liner Heat Molding added.

Riders: If anything is missing in this FAQ that should be included, please let me know so I can update it. Links to more detail would also be appreciated.

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

4. #34 Impressed! 
    Junior Skiboarder Timsierramist's Avatar
    Absolutelly amazing someone would take the time to fill in all that information. Cut and paste it may be, but it's still a large treasure trove of information that needs to be studied by noobs (like me of course) and practiced on the mountain. I'm grateful for all this information and the helpful responses i've recieved on the forums so far. Thanks!

Tim,

It just came together piece by piece over many months.

BTW: The info that was pieced together was in response to questions from new riders. So if we missed anything, just ask and we can try and add it in.

Update:

* Added waxing on a budget.

Update:

* Added note and link to a thread on the importance of a proper ski boot shell fit testing when buying / being boot fitted to avoid a boot that will pack out and be loose after a few days of use. (A boot that feels comfortable in the shop is not enough to ensure boot comfort in the long run.)

Update:

* Added link to the Full Tilt boots and wide feet thread.

After reading this post for what feels like the millionth time, I am going to print it out and take it with me for my first day out. I finally got to go rollerblading again this week, as it got warm enough too. Yes, even in Florida it can get too cold to blade! As I'm out blading, I try to imagine myself on skiboards cruising down a nice groomed run. I'm trying not to syke myself out, since I don't do ANY aggressive moves on my blades, I don't even hockey stop. I know it'll be easier to hockey stop on boards, but I have a way of over thinking things. But this post has been a HUGE help to me, and I know that it will help me make it through my first day. Even if I look like a goober pulling papers out of my jacket to refresh my memory of what I should or shouldn't be doing!

SBOLTeam III Rider / Shredfest Shelley pinkkid's Avatar
    Central Coast of California (San Luis Obispo & Paso Robles, CA)
    You will be fine, try not to overthink things when you are out on the slopes though; just be natural, relaxed and enjoy! You'll get down the hill... your body and mind will adjust to things and you'll slide on down and you'll hockey stop too! LOL It'll be fun, might be awkward at first, if at all, but that won't last long. Eager to hear how it goes once you get to Tahoe next month!
    C U N DA SNOW!

Hardcore Skiboarder FightingForAir's Avatar
    I agree with Pink. Don't overthink it. One of the great things I enjoy most about skiboards is that they are truly instructional all by themselves ... and almost telepathic - you think, move, shift weight and the boards respond. Just by paying attention to the feedback the boards give you, you will just figure it out.

From my limited experience, my only recommendation would be to try to not be too tentative, hesitant or cautious. It's counter-intuitive, but carrying just a bit more speed and piloting just a bit more agressively actually gives you more control and smoothes things out.

When I've gone over the bars in chop, it has always been when I've been going slower, hit a mound and came to a sudden stop. Sinking on powder - I was not taking a steep enough line. When I've caught a wrong edge it has always been when I've run the boards flat and have tried to heel/smear turn instead of getting up on edge. I've only had a couple really good biffs from being too aggressive ... everything else has come from being too tentative.

I had more fun and learned more in my first day skiboarding than I did in all my prior ski and snowbaord trips combined.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

12. #42 Just completed first day..... realise you are all in summer...I am in New Zealand! 
    Junior Skiboarder
    Would have love to be down at the mountain, however had to settle for indoor at snow planet. Really enjoyed the KTPs great to crank over and get on the edge, have a little work to do to sort out the jumps, as I kept coming up a little short on the table top....maybe I will go back tonight without the daughter and give it a bit more.....

Hardcore Skiboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by nath2445 View Post
    Would have love to be down at the mountain, however had to settle for indoor at snow planet. Really enjoyed the KTPs great to crank over and get on the edge, have a little work to do to sort out the jumps, as I kept coming up a little short on the table top....maybe I will go back tonight without the daughter and give it a bit more.....
    I wonder if a place like Snow Planet would do good in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Quattrofan View Post
    I would go. I'm suffering from mountain withdrawal in the summer haha

Quote Originally Posted by Quattrofan View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are several indoor ski centers in the UK that are profitable. Not sure why the US seems to resist the idea, perhaps research shows it would not be economic? I would go.
    Just these, nothing else !