Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Looking to get back into Ski Boards and need advice for bigger / older rider. 
    Junior Skiboarder
    About 15 years ago I demo'd some Sled Dogs for a couple years and then moved onto Line SkiBoards ( FF PRO 89cm ). It was alot of fun though I always felt too big for the gear. I would dig into the slope and tear up bug ruts and sink like a stone in any type of powder. I have skied in 10 years and wanted to get back on the slopes and wondered if there are new SkiBoards that fit me.

Any suggestions for Ski Boards for a bigger/older guy 38yr and 6'5" 260#, I'd like to try to find appropriate size Ski Boards or maybe try Snowboarding instead.

Thanks for the info/help.

Junior Skiboarder
    Also I live in Boston so our local conditions can be a bit icy I don't know if that matters much but figured I would throw it out there.

You will see improved performance over the Lines from most of the modern boards from RVL8 and Spruce. They are wider helping float a larger rider. Riding with just bare boots will be better or as good as the SledDogz ...

For frame of reference I am 6'5" - 200lbs (probably pushing 210 since the holidays). My go to "big boy" boards are the Spruce 120s for most conditions except powder. They are currently sold out on SBOL but I would hope Spruce will have a new batch ready soon. While the 120s were never designed for powder they are widely regarded as fantastic cruising boards and love the man made groomed runs on the East Coast. They can handle light pow and the newer models have setbacks to help keep the tips up on pow days or when you are busting spring crud.

If you want something a little more for your larger frame or are looking to hit some powder than the Spruce Sherpa might be worth considering. These boards were designed to handle more powder, are a little bigger than the 120s, but still are not skis. You are going to lose a little of the nimble skatelike feel as you go with longer boards but you get more edge hold for our larger weight and leverage.

To help the forum give you advice on boards can you tell us what you are looking to get out of the boards (cruising, park, glades.)? These will help better other recommendations. My recommendations above lean toward the longer boards but there are plenty of big riders that go shorter with a ton of success.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Junior Skiboarder
    lol, ya Sled Dogs were a bad design. I had fun beta test / demoing them for the company out of NY but the falls were hard and half the time you were practically running down the side of the icy hills.

I am looking for an all around cruising board, not into parks and only occasionally play in glades. I loved the skate like feel of my old LINE PROs, easy sharp turns, easy to negotiate the bumps, mess around skiing backwards,etc...

I'll do some research on the Spruce 120s, it sounds like a good board to start with and it's 30% (31cm) longer than my Line PROs

Here is Spruce's website and page for the 120s.

And here is a raw video clip of the 120s in action. Ridden by the artist who designed the current "Chairlift" graphics.

Jeff Singer who owns Spruce is a great guy. Spruce also makes the only demountable release binding for skiboards with a 4x4 or 4x10 mounting pattern. If you are going to go 120cm or longer you'll need to go with a release binding. This will be heavier than the non-release bindings that you presumably had on the Lines. If a heavier binding is a deal breaker I would suggest perhaps looking at the RVL8 Revolts.

The Revolts are longer and wider than your Lines and considered a good do everything board.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

More 120 action LOL. The guy on the camera is also on 120s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzoO...e_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Sticky Icky Icky (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Haven't posted this one in a while. Eyesokman on 120s, myself on camera. Watch for me doing the groundspin at the end out of boredom LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM_O...e_gdata_player

Go Android

Or this one. We were just playing around on this day picking up some style video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h9...e_gdata_player

Go Android

Skiboards:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2018 Spruce Crossbows w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Love those 120s. True classics

Go Android

Junior Skiboarder
    Thanks for the info and all the videos.

The Revolts look temping but I am not sure they would be much different than my old LINEs. only 15cm longer and 2/1/2cm wider.

I think the Spruce 120s are they way to go and if they seem to big then maybe give the Condor, Revolt or even Summit Custom.

Now I just need them to go back in stock and to find a babysitter for my dog :P

I have the Spruce 120 STS boards and love them. Since I got them last year I have probably skied them 45+ times and they are just fantastic. However, I will note that they are a soft flex, both longitudinally and torsionally, so at your size you might be pushing their limits. There are a few tall guys on the forum who ski the 120s and love them, like Wookie, but I think you are a good 50 pounds heavier than him. Not saying you can't ride the 120s, but you might end up flexing the boards enough to drive them into the riser ends. I think skafreak (Andrew) experienced that on 120s - he as I recall is a bigger rider.

The Spruce 125s have a bit more backbone than the 120s and are a very good board as well. Wendell and Jack both have 125s and are taller/bigger riders. Both have spent a lot of time on the 120s. They might be able to give a comparison in terms of flex, etc for a bigger rider. The 125s have tremendous edge grip and are fast. Only thing some people, including me, found is that they were harder to soft edge than the 120s presumably because of the zero camber underfoot. The 125s are get some tip whap on hardpack - tips and tails bouncing up and down - not unusual for rockered skis. Doesn't affect performance in my experience but can be annoying depending on your disposition. Neither the 120s or 125s are in stock right now unfortunately.

If you want to go for more of a traditional skiboard experience consider the DLPs (Dave Lynam Pros). They are stiff, but at your size you probably can generate the force to get some flex out of them. They are fast boards for sure. The KTPs also might be an option - just be aware they are wide, including wide underfoot, and they like to be driven more aggressively. The KTPs are also stiff so again at your size you might be able to put enough into them to get some flex.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

My recommendation is the Condors. Demo a pair and see what you think? They actually have more surface area than the 120s and are better on hardpack.

Skiboards:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2018 Spruce Crossbows w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Hardcore Skiboarder
    I think Sherpas would be best at your size. The 125's would also work. The 120 's may not have enough grip on hard pack for you due to the softer flex.
    Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
    Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
    Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

So there you have it: 120s, 125s, Sherpas, Condors, DLPs or KTPs!

or maybe give the Blunts a try since you would be the tallest and heaviest rider that at least I am aware of it give those might mites a go....
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.